Sunday, December 7, 2014

Chand Baori step well - worlds largest step well ?

On the road between Agra and Jaipur you can find one of the largest step well
in the world....if not the largest !?
and it's also incredibly old...built during the 8th and 9th century by King Chanda
of Nikumbha Dynasty....
the step well is found in the village of Abhaneri
it's about a 20 minute drive from the highway but I really thought it was worth the detour
 I, we , Kathy and I have looked at so many step wells on our adventures so I was sure happy when Kathy wanted to show me this one...


can't sit in the car and do nothing when you see all the things you see like
this man doing the ironing with his iron running on coal....


one of the nicest hand painted trucks I've seen....


and then sometimes !! I see things that makes me shake my head.....
looks so safe amongst the rest of the traffic doesn't it 


always I see lovely women...and always colourful !


and then we arrived in the village of Abhaneri in Rajasthan...



many many artefacts are put on display all around the step well...



and it is impressive...13 stories deep and lined along the walls on three sides are double flights of steps.....


it sure looks like anything but a step well...





patterns patterns,  love it !


3500 narrow steps arranged in perfect symmetry descends to the bottom of the well 
20 meters deep to a murky green puddle of .....water ???
the well provided the area with a water source for centuries before modern water delivery systems....
so cool...wow how smart they where in the 8th century.....


I tried my best to see if I could catch the sun in the puddle...
it was close though..


cool place

next to the step well was something just as old as the baori
curious ? 
then have a look tomorrow and I'll show you


3 comments: