Saturday, November 29, 2014

Deeg Palace - the Water Palace

is found in Bharatpur district in Rajasthan and 
was built in the 18th century as a summer retreat for the Jat kings
Fountains, ghats and ingenious water systems where found all throughout....
we where told that it was used by ancestors until 1951 !
first picture is credit to wikipedia cause I didn't get a shot from that side 


Gopal Bhawan....


the palace has two embankments..two ghats..on this side not a lot of water though..


the palace and a Sawan pavilion....the smaller building....built like an upturned boat !


the palace is now a museum and some furniture are left...they had kept all the amazing fans ...
hand driven from a room you can't see...(same as the ones I saw in St James church in Cochin)
fantastic invention way back....


my friend Kathy in action in front of the windows of the palace


all in marble....


I can only imagine how beautiful it would be with water in all the fountains that we found all over


this was a part of the palace which we didn't find any information about....
servants quarters or harem ?


here we found round holes in the concrete....see ?  and they seemed to be handmade...
we just couldn't figure out what they where used for ?


Keshav Bhavan close to the other embankment....around it where SO many monkeys....


 as always I find water intriguing...reflections and the life around it...











I was waiting for him to ride his bike down cause it actually looked like he was going to...




this was a place with very little visitors....but we did encounter some not so nice young men
who told us some not so very nice things....sometimes Indians don't think we understand what they are saying in hindi...sometimes I wish I didn't....sometimes I don't....
first time this has happened and I'm sure happy I wasn't there by myself
but
if you are travelling around this area it sure is worth a visit...
the village is beautiful....I'll show you some more in the next post...
until then 
enjoy you saturday...
have an extra cup of coffee and relax



1 comment: