Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sanganer...a traditional printing town

about 30 minutes southwest of Jaipur, really close to the airport, you find Sanganer a traditional printing town...Sanganer owes it success as a printing centre to a rivulet whose water has a mineral content that fixes dyes...it is also a centre of handmade paper( didn't look at that this time) and of Jaipurs renowned handprinted blue pottery.....I had a map, but maps here in India can be quite the challenge....the village didn't quite match with my inner pictures....mine where more romantic !  but we drove around and found some of the spots I wanted to see...we...hmmm..I think this was actually all me..but again I have the best husband ever....
first stop was at a sun bleaching area




then we found a small printing and dying factory ...



then we where off to find the washing and drying fields....the map kind of confused us but we found it...


this is exactly what I wanted to see....the washing and drying fields...they didn't speak any english and it was just me and Mr M so it was all looking and walking around....


they work in the water while washing of the dye....walking on the fabric pushing it down under water...over and over


so cool to see all this wonderful fabric with all it's colour blowing in the little wind we had....



and to see it all laid out to dry.....there's something about fabric....it makes me happy....I want to touch it...feel it....




this pattern got me thinking of Taj Mahal....




some of the patterns reminds me of the provence fabric I so like ( from France )




and then sometimes it reminds me of old swedish folklore..


seeing the fabric hanging drying and blowing in the wind reminds me of summer...newly washed sheets hanging out to dry and the wonderful smell when you crawl into those sheets in your bed at night..hmmm it doesn't get any better does it? anyhow...
if you like me love fabric and handprinted ones...a visit to Sanganer is a must....maybe there are more of these villages around in Rajasthan ? if you know of any please let me know.....send me a mail or post a comment here below....
I love all your wonderful comments so keep them coming
I think the next post will be about Hawa Mahal..."Palace of Winds" in Jaipur
hope to see you !






2 comments:

  1. My favorite fabric!?! - the pink och flowery one in picture 2 and 3! <3 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Susanna, jag skulle gärna vilja komma i kontakt med dig. Har du möjlighet att maila mig på jessica@wearetellingstories.com? Hälsningar Jessica

    ReplyDelete